The Total Gym: Several Different Machines in One Single Contraption
Any brand in any industry will welcome the endorsement of famous people, and the Total Gym has those endorsements from Chuck Norris and Christie Brinkley to brag about.
These particular celebrities are certainly fit, and when you consider their ages you’ll be amazed at just how good they look. Is it possible that you can achieve the same with this Chuck Norris workout machine?
The short answer to this question is yes. Most of the Total Gym reviews say the same thing, although there are several factors you need to consider.
A Wide Variety of Options
With compact home gym systems, you really do have a wide range of options to choose from over some other weight machines. You can go for the barebones models, while the more expensive models allow you to do more exercises. They also tend to have more padding so you’re more comfortable.
Right now, there are 8 possible models to choose from. You’ve got the Core Trainer, XLS, GTS, FIT, Leg Trainer, Press Trainer, Pull-up Trainer, and Power Tower. These are just the products from Total Gym for sale to regular folks, although a few of them are marketed specifically for commercial gyms.
The basic configuration is however the same. You have a bench on which you sit or lie on, and then you have cables attached to handles. The amount of resistance you use will vary depending on your position and the angle of the bench.
The more expensive the machine you get, the more options you can attach and the more exercises you can perform. For example, you may have a foot plate attachment, and with that you can perform squats.
For the most part, the foundation of Total Gym is the belief that weight lifting is the way to go. With this type of training, you can build muscle, lose weight, or rehab from injury.
That does seem to leave out cardio for the most part, but then again not everyone is convinced that cardio is all that essential when you engage in strength training. Cardio is important because it helps you maintain or improve your cardiovascular health. But for weight loss, strength training is actually better because you get rid of extra body fat while endless running may cause you to lose muscle as well.
And the strength training here doesn’t involve weight equipment. Instead of barbells, dumbbells, and weights on cables, you use your own body weight as the resistance and still get full body workouts with this personal home gym.
So while you may target various muscles in different exercises, you generally tend to work your core muscles as well. That can really tighten up your midsection, and at the same time improving your core allows you to become better at many of the daily activities (walking, lifting, etc.) you do in real life. This machine will allow you to do ab workouts without separate ab exercise equipment. The accessories that you can get with it will make your home workout routine complete.
Advantages and Benefits
So why should you choose to get your workout equipment from here? Surely it’s not enough that Chuck Norris and Christie Brinkley are endorsing it. Actually, you get several advantages.
- For one, the vast majority of Chuck Norris exercise equipment reviews admit that these things are very durable. They simply will last for a very long time, and that’s because the quality is superior.
- They’re suitable for a large number of people. They can be used by both men and women, and by different age groups.
- The machines can work just about your whole body, when you pick the right model. That means you can essential sculpt your body from head to toe.
- It’s very adaptive too. In other words, you can change the level of difficulty so that you can progress towards your fitness goal. You just need to change the angle of the incline and you’re done.
- These machines are very easy to use. The manual you get will give you simple and clear instructions, and they come with exercises you can do. It’s not all that complicated.
- They’re also fun to use. This is a real advantage, because this can help prevent you from quitting on your program. You won’t get bored because of the variety of exercises you can do, and since it is fun you’re going to be looking forward to your workouts instead of dreading them.
- They will also give you lots of savings from gym memberships. If your fitness needs are simple enough, you won’t really need a personal trainer and lots of different machines. The Total Gym will suffice.
Of course, the Total Gym isn’t absolutely perfect. So let’s take a look at the weaknesses:
- The cardio options are limited. While some machines allow you to do some rowing exercises, sustained cardio workouts are not going to be very easy to do. Here, your best cardio option is to do some rowing with a great degree of intensity.
- These machines tend to need a lot of space. The machines themselves take up a lot of space. And what’s more, you’re going to be moving around a lot, so you need lots of space around you.
This also makes storage a bit of a problem. Even those models which you can fold still need a lot of space.
- Adjustments aren’t all that quick and easy. While some weight machines allow you to choose the weight you lift easily, with the Total Gym you’re going to have to interrupt your workout to make your adjustments.
- Really advanced users may not get the full benefits. Professional athletes and advanced muscle builders will have to really go to the gym instead of relying on the Total Gym. For really advanced strength training, nothing can beat using barbells or dumbbells.
The Total Gym is a good buy, especially if you can afford the more advanced models. You can do more exercises, and at the same time you get more comfortable features as well.
But you may want to buy some DVDs about the exercises you can do, and that’s usually another purchase. The DVDs may cover different fitness goals, and they may also use different methods (circuit training, Pilates, etc.).
In any case, the Total Gym beats having to buy lots of different machines. That’s going to be more expensive, and that’s going to use up more space too. With Total Gym, it’s as if you have numerous machines in one nifty package, and that’s the true genius of it.